Topics that the program will cover include:
- Historical development of the American health care system; determinants of health care utilization; role of health care providers; health policy; public health services; and health care finance.
- Quality assessment at different levels of the health care system including health plans, physicians, hospital and integrated system performance.
- Electronic medical records, use of health statistics; health indicators; confidentiality, security, privacy.
- Improvement methods such as Lean and Six Sigma, use of analytic and technology to improve operations.
- A capstone course in which students work with a hospital on a project to improve operations.
Some of our Instructors
Sue Kim, Assistant Professor of Clinical Preventive Medicine
Researcher in topics such as assessing the role of health insurance coverage on patterns of health care utilization among childhood cancer survivors.
Shinyi Wu, Associate Professor of Social Work and Industrial and Systems Engineering
Researcher in technology to provide care for chronic disease and for aging populations.
David Belson, Program Director, Lecturer in Industrial and Systems Engineering
Experienced in healthcare performance improvement. Trainer for the State of California and the California Hospital Association as well as projects at the VA and over 50 hospitals.
Ali Nowroozi, Lecturer of Industrial and Systems Engineering
Extensive experience in higher education teaching in strategic planning and project management. Expert in project management methods.
Sample Study Plan
ISE 508 Health Care Operations Improvement
PM 508 Health Service Delivery in the U.S.
PM 504 Quality in Health Care
ISE 515 Engineering Project Management
PPD 511 Health Information Systems
ISE 500 Statistics for Engineering Managers
ISE 505: Modeling for Health Policy and Medical Decision Making
PPD 515: Strategic Management of Health Organizations
PPD 510b: Financial Management of Health Services
ISE 509 Practicum in Health Care Systems
Published on December 20th, 2021
Last updated on December 20th, 2021