Tenured, Tenure Track, and Full Time Teaching Faculty
Joint Appointment Faculty
- Barry Boehm (TRW Professor, Computer Science Engineering): Software Engineering; National Academy of Engineering.
- Rahul Jain (Assistant Professor, Electrical Engineering): Networks and Control, Network Economics and Games, and Stochastic Control and Learning.
- Najmedin Meshkati (Professor, Civil and Enviornmnetal Engineering): Human Factors; NSF Career Award.
- Joe S. Qin (Fluor Chair Professor, Chemical Engineering): Chemical and Manufacturing Process Optimization, Efficiency, and Control; NSF Career Award.
- Ketan Savla (Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering)
- Milind Tambe (Professor, Computer Science Engineering): Agent-Based and Multi-Agent Systems.
- Shinyi Wu (Associate Professor, School of Social Work): Healthcare Systems Improvement, Quality Control, and Management Engineering.
- Nitin Kale (Senior Lecturer, Information Technology Program): Enterprise Resource Planning and Business Intelligence Systems.
- Richard Vawter (Senior Lecturer, Information Technology Program): Enterprise Resource Planning and Supply Chain Management.
- Gerald A. Fleischer (Professor Emeritus): Engineering Economy and Finance.
- Ralph L. Keeney (Professor Emeritus): Decision Analysis; National Academy of Engineering.
- F. Stan Settles (IBM Chair Professor and SAE Program Co-Director): Engineering Management, Systems Architecting; National Academy of Engineering.
- Peter Will (Professor Emeritus): Manufacturing Automation.
Research faculty in the Viterbi School of Engineering have no teaching obligation, though many elect to teach up to one course per year. The criteria for research faculty appointments include scholarship and extramural funding commensurate with the research profiles typical of tenured and tenure-track faculty.
- Yigal Arens (Research Professor): Digital Government, Intelligent Systems, Interfaces.
- Wanda Austin (Research Professor): Satellite and Payload System Acquisition, Systems Engineering, and System Simulation; National Academy of Engineering.
- Mohamed I. Dessouky (Research Professor): Computers and Industrial Engineering.
- Stephen Hora (Research Professor)
- Fernando I. Ordoñez (Research Associate Professor)
Though not a matter of policy, the practices of the USC Viterbi School of Engineering reveal a strong preference for restricting adjunct faculty appointments to individuals with doctoral degrees. Adjunct faculty members are occasionally appointed on the basis of other criteria, such as other graduate credentials or decades of distinguished industry experience. The Epstein Department considers appointing individuals to adjunct faculty ranks on a case-by-case basis, and only if there are compelling rationales that speak to the individual’s strong qualifications for the role. These might include distinguished professional experience, professional honors and awards (such as NAE/NAS/IOM membership), or flag rank.
- Michael Mann (Adjunct Professor): Technology Management.
- Jeffrey H. Smith (Adjunct Associate Professor): Multiattribute Decision Analysis, Mathematical Modeling & Simulation, and Robotics.
The unique professional environment that defines the Los Angeles metropolitan area provides the Epstein ISE Department with access to Industry faculty members drawn from the ranks of leading national experts. These full time professionals and industry leaders bring unusual levels of depth, sophistication, and relevance to the various graduate curricula mounted by the Epstein Department.