Daniel J. Epstein Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
Phone: (213) 740-0867
- M.S., Aerospace Engineering, Polytechnic Institute of Bucharest, Romania
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, State University of New York at Buffalo, NY.
In his early career, Dr. Adumitroaie has performed research in simulation and modeling of high-speed turbulent reacting flows at University at Buffalo, NY and NASA Langley Research Center, VA. Subsequently, he worked on various engineering R&D projects at the CFD Research Corporation, AL prior to joining NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, CA. He has published papers and technical reports on advanced modeling of compressible flows, direct numerical simulations and large eddy simulations (LES) of chemically reacting flows, and magnetohydrodynamics. Dr. Adumitroaie has delivered R&D solutions in earth and planetary sciences, decisions under uncertainty, turbulent combustion modeling, data dimension reduction, neural networks, signaling pathways and scientific software development. Currently, his work in planetary atmospheric and magnetospheric modeling supports the Juno mission.
- Techonology Portfolio Selection
- Decision Support under Uncertainty
- Multi-disciplinary Engineering Modeling
- Computational Physics
- Turbulent Flows
- Synchroton Radiation
- V. Adumitroaie, S. Levin, D. Santos-Costa, S. Gulkis and M. Janssen "Towards A Fast Background Radiation Subtraction Technique for the Juno Mission," Aerospace Conference, 2016 IEEE. IEEE, 2016.
- V. Adumitroaie, S. Gulkis and F. Oyafuso, "Ammonia-Water Solution Cloud Modeling Of Gas Giant Planets Via Phase Equilibrium Calculations," IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, MT, March 1-8, 2014.
- C. R. Weisbin, P. Clark, A. Elfes, J. H. Smith, J. Mrozinski, V. Adumitroaie, H. Hua, K. Shelton, W. Lincoln, R. Silberg, M. Lupisella, "Reconciling Scientific Aspirations and Engineering Constraints for a Lunar Mission via Hyperdimensional Interpolation," AIAA Space 2010 Conference and Exposition, Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim, California, Aug 31-Sept 2, 2010.
- V. Adumitroaie, " Strategic technology investment analysis: an integrated system approach," IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, MT, March 6-8, 2010.C. R. Weisbin, J. Mrozinski, W. Lincoln, A. Elfes, K. Shelton, H. Hua, J. H. Smith, V. Adumitroaie, R. Silberg, "Lunar Architecture and Technology Analysis Driven by Lunar Science Scenarios," Systems Engineering Journal, Vol. 13, Number 3, 2010.
- C.R. Weisbin , J. H. Smith, T. Van Houten, R. Moeller, W. Zimmerman, W. Smythe, W. Lincoln, A. Elfes, V. Adumitroaie, and R. Silberg, "Technical Feasibility and Relative Productivity of Alternate NASA Robotic Missions to a Lunar Dark Crater," IEEE Systems Journal, Vol 2, Issue 1, pages 120-128, March 2008.
- V. Adumitroaie, H. Hua, W. Lincoln, G. Block, J. Mrozinski, K. Shelton, C.R. Weisbin, A. Elfes, and J. Smith, "Computational Support for Technology Investment Decisions," Tech Briefs, Vol 31, No. 11, November 2007, pgs 48-50.