Julia L. Higle
Professor and Chair
Industrial and Systems Engineering
Phone: (213) 740-6785
Fax: (213) 740-1120
B.A., Summa Cum Laude Mathematics and Physics, Albion College, Albion, MI, 1981
B.S.E., Summa Cum Laude Industrial and Operations Engineering, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1982
Ph.D., Industrial and Operations Engineering, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1985
Ph.D. Dissertation: “Deterministic Equivalence in Stochastic Infinite Horizon Problems.”
Dr. Higle was an Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and Professor in the Systems and Industrial Engineering Department at the University of Arizona, 1985-2006; and Professor and Chair, Integrated Systems Engineering, The Ohio State University, 2006-2012. Dr. Higle serves as Senior Vice President for Academics, Institute of Industrial Engineers, 2009-present. She has served as vice-chair of the INFORMS Section on Optimization, Program Chair for the 10th International Conferences on Stochastic Programming, among a variety of other positions.
Development of models and solution methods for decision making under uncertainty; stochastic programming models and algorithmic methods for their solution; stochastic modeling for health-care applications, with a particular focus on the development of cancer screening strategies.
- “Stochastic Decomposition: An Algorithm for Two Stage Linear Programs with Recourse,” with S. Sen, Mathematics of Operations Research, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 650-669, 1991.
- “Finite Master Programs in Regularized Stochastic Decomposition,” with S. Sen, Math. Programming, vol. 67, pp. 143-168, 1994.
- “Sensitivity Analysis and Uncertainty in Linear Programming,” with S. W. Wallace, Interfaces, vol. 33, no 4, pp. 53-60, 2003.
- “Stochastic Programming: Optimization when Uncertainty Matters,” In Tutorials in Operations Research: Emerging Theory, Methods, and Applications, INFORMS, Hanover, MD, 2006.
- “Bid Price Control with Origin-Destination Demand: A Stochastic Programming Approach,” J. of Revenue and Pricing Management, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 291-304, 2007.